In developing countries around the world tap water is not always a reliable source for drinking water and as a result people have turned to bottled water for hydration. Yet, in Australia tap water is in large safe to drink. This is because tap water is regulated, often screened for dangerous pollutants and city government offices are required to share water information with their residents, however people are still choosing to crack that cap instead of turning on the tap.
In Australia each of us drink 26 litres of bottled water on average per year, including places of business, where companies often spend time and money on bottle delivery while having a perfectly good source of water already installed within their building - which they already pay for on a regular basis.
The cost of bottled water, the level of purity of the water inside the bottle and the pollution caused during the production of plastics are just some of the many things that should make you rethink unscrewing the cap on bottled water and persuade you to purify what’s coming from your tap instead.
What's under the cap?
Despite many of us drinking bottled water in the work place and our homes, there are many disadvantages of constantly purchasing bottles in order to drink purified water, and none as surprisingly simple as the cost of this habit.
According to the Australian Museum the cost of tap water is 1 cent per litre compared to bottled water which costs $2.53. It might not sound like a lot, but if you consider that around 600 million litres of bottled water is consumed by offices and residences across Australia per year it all adds up. That’s over 1.5 billion dollars spent just on bottled water, all whilst you’re already paying for an unlimited supply of water through your building’s mains supply.
If every business and resident across Australia switched all their water consumption over to tap water, the cost would drop from the staggering 1.5 billion dollars per year to the much more acceptable 6 million dollars per year. We’re sure homes and businesses can put that money to better use than paying for something that’s already being dispensed in their building.
As if you needed any other reason to drop that bottle, there’s also our green earth to think about.
According to The Australian museum, manufacturing the plastic bottles that are used in Australia each year calls for more than 400,000 barrels of oil to be used. And unfortunately, approximately 7 billion of these recyclable plastic water bottles end up in landfills or our oceans every year.
You might not even consider it, but it also takes water to make water. According to the Pacific Institute, it takes 3 litres of water to produce just 1 litre of bottled water. And guess what? 45% of the world’s bottled water actually comes from municipal water supply systems (also known as “tap water”). That’s right, major bottled water companies get about 55% of their water from natural springs but the rest is essentially tap water that is treated in their plants and filtration systems.
Under your tap is an endless supply
Many may argue that taste and overall quality of city water is a reason to not drink straight from your tap. However, you can actually convert that same source of water into clean, pure tasting water with each glass.
There are numerous filtration systems that will help remove the impurities that are known to swim around in your tap-water-filled glass. These filtration systems are water coolers that connect directly to your building’s water line and will filter the water before it hits your cup. Not only will you stop adding plastic jugs or bottles to landfills but your company or home will save money as well.
Plus, if you use your building’s tap water at work you won’t have to worry about the many inconveniences that bottled water brings, such as:
- running out of water,
- lifting those heavy bottles,
- finding a place to store full and empty plastic bottles,
- and interruptions of your busy work day for water delivery.
With that being said, not all mains fed water coolers strive to meet the qualities that we deliver here at Waterlogic with our coolers. We understand it’s all about having the right filtration to meet your water needs and we provide what is needed for your drinking glass.
- Carbon Filtration: Our carbon filters purify your water to remove contaminants, chlorine and other waterborne bad tastes and odors. Carbon makes for the ultimate filter because it’s amazingly porous, so it grabs and holds onto impurities from pesticides to lead, petro-chemicals to microscopic cysts, and removes toxins and discoloration, leaving you with clear, fresh water.
- UV Purification: Our UV purification system places the UV lamp inside the bottleless water cooler in order to destroy the DNA core of contaminants, eliminating E. Coli, Salmonella, Hepatitis and other water impurities. The water in the tank receives powerful doses of UV energy, wiping out bacteria but doing nothing to alter the fresh, cleansed taste of every inviting drop you drink.
- Firewall: We took our already great UV technology and made it even greater with our patent technology, FirewallTM. With Firewall, not only does the water dispenser have the carbon filtration and the UV Purification but it also has a UV lamp positioned at the point of dispense, obliterating germs milliseconds before the water lands in your cup. This technology gives you 99.9999% purity, 100% of the time.
Overall, we know that sometimes bottled water is thought to be a necessity in order to get clean, purified water at home or for your employees, but that’s just not true. In terms of purification, Waterlogic water cooler systems can provide you with even better water quality then a purchased water bottle. By using your own purified tap water instead of purchasing bottles you’re contribute to being eco-friendly, save your company money and save yourself (or another employee) the headache that is brought on by all the inconveniences of water delivery.
Plus, with almost the majority of bottled water coming straight from municipal source that has been filtered – why not cut out the middle-man and purify your tap water with a quality system.